Wednesday 16 June 2010

Slovakian hearts bleed as Winston Reid takes away their lead

Although fans of the teams who I have followed thus far clearly won’t feel the same way, today I felt a very fortunate man. In terms of a venue to get the thoughts of a range of World Cup followers, Bratislava blew Belgrade and Salonika out the water with a cosmopolitan showing of football fans, each with a fresh and unique insight into the tournament.

But first, the Slovaks. Those poor Slovaks. If you truly believe in the curse of the World Cup Traveller (the list of believers is no doubt growing), then you’ll consider yourself vindicated by the following footage. Whipping out my camera in the 92nd minute, I pressed record for what I believed would be my first taste of celebratory footage. Instead, watching screen-in-screen in horror, I got this:



Vintage sucker punch. In an attempt to quell the disappoint, corporate associates of the ‘Fan Fest’ Coca Cola thought it appropriate to immediately follow the gut-wrenching goal with a right good knees up, featuring some of the most laboured dancing one has ever witnessed. The fact that 90% of the crowd had dispersed, leaving a trail of discarded give-away Coke cans in their wake, didn’t seem to deter them, although they were able to persuade one old timer to get his groove on.

Ultimately though, as bad as I felt for the Slovakians, New Zealand’s late and frankly undeserved equaliser at least made for some good footage, and some classic ‘gutted fan’ shots - this particular one was taken some ten minutes after the game had actually finished:


There were other undeniable positives to take from the day as well: 1) I actually witnessed the ‘home’ team scoring a goal;



2) In the Kia Fan Fest, outside a recently built shopping centre on the banks of the Danube, I found somewhere which truly had a real World Cup atmosphere, as the locals revelled in their first ever World Cup appearance as an independent nation; and 3) As well as a whole host of frustrated angry people, I also found my first group of happy football fans on my travels, in the form of five jubilant Kiwis.


Their thoughts on the match? “We’re just delighted to be here. I’m over the moon, I can’t believe it. We probably didn’t deserve it to be honest with you, but we’ve got our first ever World Cup point and it feels amazing.” And what a lovely bunch of lads they were - and my, were they happy to see the World Cup trophy itself when I bumped into them again outside a bar in the old town.

But it was two Slovakians in particular that I was incredibly disappointed for when the Kiwi goal hit. Wandering around the fan park at the start of the second half, seeking semi-fluent English speakers, I was fortunate enough to come across Vlastimil Danicek - or Vlasto to his friends - and his patriotically decorated son, David. The writing over his body, in case you can‘t decipher, are names of Slovakian players - in particular, I am a fan of the little-voweled Skrtel across the forehead. Like the New Zealanders, Vlasto just appeared delighted to be watching Slovakia at a World Cup match. He was of course well aware, as knowledgeable as he was about the game, that this game presented their biggest opportunity for three points, and he feared the threat of Paraguay and Italy. He had nothing but praise for the side and their coach Vladimir Weiss for getting this far, stating that with Martin Skrtel at the back, Marek Hamsik in the middle and Robert Vittek up front the team was at its strongest it had ever been since its split from the Czechs.

He had much praise for the English game as well, revealing that he had a bet on England to reach the semi finals (a bet I told him I wouldn’t have taken myself) sharing his belief that they were one of the strongest teams at the tournament. It has truly surprised me how highly England seem to be regarded on the continent, and in all honesty I’m not sharing their confidence yet. Vlasto acknowledged that on the very early evidence, Germany look the team to beat.


He asked which Premier League side I follow, and when I told him Aston Villa, he was quick to remind me of when Slovakian side MSK Zilina came to Villa Park and beat us 2-1. Brilliant - I can’t escape piss taking for Villa results even when in Slovakia. Vlasto and David were among the few fans still at the fan park some 15 minutes after kick off, as the grief vultures (and I include myself in that) shoved recording equipment into disappointed faces. I caught up with him briefly and he didn’t seem able to offer too much outside of a sad shrug. Poor David was being interviewed by local news channel TA3.

However, earlier I mentioned how fortunate I personally was. Aside from the kind and interesting nature of Vlastimil, the excellent photos and videos I was able to record and the presence of delighted New Zealanders, there was more. As I sat down outside The Dubliner - the first but surely not the last ‘Irish’ bar on my travels - to have some dinner and watch the second half of the Portugal - Ivory Coast game, a large group of multi-nationals perched themselves on the table directly in front. “I am sorry for this,” said one, as he feared he blocked my view to the screen. “I am Portuguese, and this is Portugal playing.” Of all the luck! One of the few sets of European fans that I wasn’t expecting to get the thoughts of and in come a group of them to sit right next to me during a Portugal game. What next? A group of North Koreans to come into the hostel bar this evening?

Unsurprisingly, their assessment was that individually Portugal’s players have the potential to go far, but they had absolutely no time for Carlos Queiroz. “As a number two he is good,” Miguel told me. “But as a number one, no good. Especially when dealing with 94 million Euro superstars. He does not have this ability.” An uninspiring 0-0, in which Portugal offered little threat bar a long range effort from Cristiano Ronaldo, appeared to prove their point. I mentioned the prospect of José Mourinho one day managing the national team to them, and they gave the impression that the Portuguese are just waiting for the day. Unfortunately they’ll have to wait a little while longer, although they’re delighted that the country’s two biggest stars-cum-egotists are now united at Real Madrid.

Their friends, by the way, were a combination of Greek, English and one American. The Yank’s insight? “Miguel, you’ve got to step it up a bit! I’m not seeing a lot of offence here.” Miguel didn't look amused.

Then there was the icing on the cake for the amateur photographer in me - I was finally able to begin to fill my much requested quota of attractive girls wearing national shirts, something demanded by a sizeable group of male friends of mine. Here you are lads:


In reality, there were far too many fantastic photos and videos to include in this blog, so feel free to view the rest in my Facebook group.

And finally, here is a collation of the various Robert Green related piss takes from the nations of the world, all of which were uttered within around 60 seconds of meeting these people - Miguel from Portugal: “You need to watch that goalkeeper of yours.” Vlasto from Slovakia: “We can lend you a goalkeeper if you like. Yours nearly made me throw my betting slip away.” New Zealander from New Zealand, after I told him I didn’t fancy playing them in the latter rounds: “I’m up for it. I hear the tactic is just to kick the ball straight at the goalkeeper.” Cheers lads. I’m just thankful that I didn’t end up speaking to the American - he probably would have advised that our goal defence roster is in a bad period right now, and coach Capello needs to give them a shake-up in the locker room
. Or something.

Ljubljana is the next stop, a city I’m told is as beautiful and lively as it is miniscule. I am incredibly excited about the prospect, not only for footballing reasons, but additionally because I’m informed by my already incredibly helpful host Sara that the people there are known as ‘Zabarji’, or ‘Frog people’. This already forges a deep connection with my own heritage - my surname Zaba means frog in Polish also, and it‘s not a common name there either. Allegedly frog shaped litter bins await, surely creating more exciting photo oportunities.

---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slovenia

Tournament odds 400/1

Remember the last time? I do, a first round appearance in South Korea in 2002. Can’t say I recall their three defeats all too much, but I do remember star player Zlatko Zahovic being ordered home. Justifiably, to be fair, as he supposedly told coach Srecko Katanec: “You’re a prick of a coach and you were a prick of a player. I could buy you, your house and your family.”

Who do I recognise?
If the entire squad were to walk into the hostel bar now, none of them. On paper, I know captain Robert Koren and absolutely nobody else.


Jarek’s Prophetic Vision
Victory over Algeria will unfortunately be followed with two defeats to the USA and England.


Jarek’s Prophetic Match Vision
Team USA to come from behind to win 2-1. Slovenians and me to drink away the dissapointment.





No comments:

Post a Comment